Installing and Testing¶
Most users will want to simply install the latest version, hosted on PyPI:
pip install peewee
Peewee comes with a couple C extensions that will be built if Cython is available.
- Speedups, which includes miscellaneous functions re-implemented with Cython.
- Sqlite extensions, which includes Cython implementations of the SQLite date manipulation functions, the REGEXP operator, and full-text search result ranking algorithms.
Installing with git¶
The project is hosted at https://github.com/coleifer/peewee and can be installed using git:
git clone https://github.com/coleifer/peewee.git
python setup.py install
On some systems you may need to use
sudo python setup.py install to
install peewee system-wide.
If you would like to build the SQLite extension in a git checkout, you can run:
# Build the C extension and place shared libraries alongside other modules.
python setup.py build_ext -i
You can test your installation by running the test suite.
You can test specific features or specific database drivers using the
runtests.py script. To view the available test runner options, use:
python runtests.py --help
To run tests against Postgres or MySQL you need to create a database named “peewee_test”. To test the Postgres extension module, you will also want to install the HStore extension in the postgres test database:
-- install the hstore extension on the peewee_test postgres db.
CREATE EXTENSION hstore;
To use Peewee, you typically won’t need anything outside the standard
library, since most Python distributions are compiled with SQLite support.
You can test by running
import sqlite3 in the Python console. If you
wish to use another database, there are many DB-API 2.0-compatible drivers
out there, such as
psycopg2 for MySQL and Postgres
- Cython: used for various speedups. Can give a big boost to certain operations, particularly if you use SQLite.
- apsw: an optional 3rd-party SQLite
binding offering greater performance and much, much saner semantics than the
pysqlite. Use with
- gevent is an optional dependency for
SqliteQueueDatabase(though it works with
- BerkeleyDB can be compiled with a SQLite frontend, which works with Peewee. Compiling can be tricky so here are instructions.
- Lastly, if you use the Flask framework, there are helper extension modules available.
Skip Compilation of SQLite Extensions¶
I’ve received reports from Windows users that they have some trouble installing
Peewee due to missing a SQLite shared library. If you would like to simply skip
compilation of the SQLite-specific C extensions, you can set the
$ NO_SQLITE=1 python setup.py build